Sunday, March 18

Who Knew?

On my trip to Orange county my friend Chris took me to the Museum of Latin American Art. His parents have season passes, and my affinity for art led him to believe that I would enjoy such a place. His guess was right, I loved the museum even though we only saw a small section of it; the MOLAA is under construction and will be opening as a refreshed and rejuvenated museum in June. I have never taken a class in Latin American art; despite the fact that Chapman is located in Southern California and employs a large Hispanic population, our art department focused mostly on dead white men. The names I do know are the very popular Frida Kahlo, Diego Rivera, Rufino Tamayo, and Fernando Botero; everything else was pretty new though and I honestly loved most of what we saw. I want to know more about Latin American art now, perhaps a new focus for study has emerged for me.