Thursday, November 29

LUX



Last night after hearing about the Susan Street Gallery rejection, I decided to browse Craigslist, as I do daily. In the art/media jobs I found an advertisement for a part time curatorial internship at the LUX Art Institute. Never heard of them? I hadn't either and with good reason; the grand opening of the facility was November 11th. One interesting thing about this lack of knowledge about the facility is that the institute is two miles from my condo, it took me three minutes to drive there tonight. Yes, I went at ten o'clock tonight to check it out because I couldn't believe it was really that close; thus the very dark photo. I sent in my resume last night and received a call this morning. I have an appointment to interview next Tuesday on my lunch break. I did a little research as well because I wanted to be sure of what I was getting myself into. It's not really a school in the traditional sense, but more of an artist colony/museum. The institute is establishing a program to commission work from artists in exchange for giving artists residence for a month or so. While the artist works on the commission, and whatever other work they feel inspired to do, their work will be viewable in progress as a public education tool. In conjunction with the works in progress there will be a permanent collection. It sounds like a really interesting program, and even if I don't get the internship I plan on stopping by regularly. The pros would be art experience to put on my resume, more knowledge about how the art world operates, solace from Toyota, a small stipend, and hopefully some good connections. It's a six month commitment and only 15-20 hours per week, so I can have a full time job and then do this with my other time. It sounds amazing, and because they want a writing sample I've begun serious revisions on my thesis. Once again, wish me luck and I'll keep you updated.