Monday, February 1

Vans and the Places they Were

I recently found an interesting project online, Vans and the Places they Were, that documents old custom vans. Filmmaker and photographer Joe Stevens took on the project in 1996, and has captured hundreds of vans on 120mm film. The concept of the hunt is interesting, though the way that Stevens plans to culminate it might be a little too hard to accomplish. According to his artist statement, the project can be summed up as follows.
Notably, at the same time these vans have been disappearing from our roads – film photography as a visual medium has also begun it’s slow death. Consequently the goal of the project is to one day shoot the last remaining van on the final frame of photographic film in existence. Then the project will be finished.
However, as a child of the 80s, I don't feel the connection to these vans. They don't remind me of anything more than what I've seen in movies or print media. My connection is amusement that these vans were once considered rock and roll (check out this article for further proof). So take them for what you will, as an amusing collection of artifacts from a rock and roll era, or as a reminder of a truly great time. Either way, it's a worthwhile project that I hope you enjoy as much as I did.